Navigation

Monday, December 16, 2013

Eco/Vegan Gift Guide, Part 1

What do you get the vegan/health nut/eco-concious person in your life?

Uhhh where do I begin?!

As a vegan who loves gifts- both giving and receiving, I am sort of an expert on this question. I worked hard to get this post up to answer it in time for the holidays, but the gifts below are good ideas for all-year round and all occasions. Bookmark it and come back for b-days, graduation, anniversaries, and "just-becauses!"
Everything here is me-approved. Unless I clearly state otherwise, I will never post anything that is untried by yours truly. I have zero interest in marketing items I don't personally love and believe in! Felt I should say that, now here we go, categorized by recipient:

1. The No-Meat Athlete

More of my photos on my Instagram: @veganlifeisgood

I made the "Vega Bouquet" above for my trainer/colleague/guy-friend Billy Bad Ass for his birthday. I'm pretty proud of the idea, and he loved it. I got the vase for a $1 at Goodwill and taped each single-serve packet to a bamboo skewer. If you don't know about Vega, they make a line of protein powders, endurance gels, and the like, all vegan and decently tasty. You can find their products in pretty much any store with health and nutrition items; I got these at Whole Foods. Oh, and check out Billy's website Herbivore Athletics while you're at it- sign yourself and your favorite athlete up for his entertaining and informative newsletters. I learn something new every time!

2. The Sentimentalist:


I found several sellers on Etsy who are taking recycled silverware and stamping memorable/funny messages, names, dates, or other personalization onto silverware. I think it would be a cute idea to have one stamped with a name for every member of the table at a dinner party, or at a wedding. I ordered this one from: Bella Jackson Studios.  Note: The shipping on this one took awhile. I would contact the seller directly if you are trying to get it by Christmas or another specific date to make sure it is possible.

3. The Aesthete: 


If you know someone who likes to be surrounded by beauty, even when dining, I cannot recommend these lovely bowls enough. I've ordered 3 and can vouch that they are more beautiful in person, and true works of art. Again, check with the seller on shipping times, they have earned recent recognition in magazines like Everyday with Rachel Ray and seem to be a busy company. They have many more designs and colors:  Owl Creek Ceramics on Etsy


4. The Chef:


Okay, this is also fitting for the aforementioned sentimentalist/aesthete categories. I bought this beautiful cutting/serving board for my friend who is from Oregon. I researched and made sure it would be a quality tool to withstand the test of time and recipes, and in the end she decided to hang it on the wall as art! And who can blame her? I needed it in a rush and the seller, Hans, was very quick to make the custom heart over her hometown of Roseburg and to ship it to me. Many other states are available in his shop, and he states orders by Dec 18 will ship in time for X-mas:
 Alden Woods Designs on Etsy

*I have heard they also have state-shaped cutting boards at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I cannot vouch for their quality, but that at least gives you an option after the 18th if you are loving this idea.

5. The Host/Hostess:

Visiting family for X-mas? Attending a fun party? Let your gracious host or hostess know you appreciate them opening their home to you with this gracious little gift for... their home! Soy candles bypass any vegan debate on beeswax. I personally LOVE the holiday scents from Illume candles (found at Whole Foods), especially "woodfire," which does make the room smell, gently, of its namesake!

6. Bonus Gift- Stocking Stuffer:
My instagram: @veganlifeisgood
If you've been my friend on Instagram for awhile you may have seem this photo posted the day I first bought Go Raw Super Cookies. I still love them and recommend the lemon, gingersnap, and chocolate flavors! So good! They are not only vegan but also nut, wheat, and gluten free. They are available at health food stores, or if you live in San Diego you can go to the Go Raw Life Center at Liberty Station in Point Loma and pick them up in person. Good luck not buying 10 other things while you're there, they are quite an amazing and delicious establishment.


Hope that was helpful to some folks out there. That's it for this round, but check back for many more gift ideas in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Post your comments here!