Navigation

Monday, July 29, 2013

Fruit Week: Icy Blueberry Crush

Good Monday!
All this week I am focusing my recipes and tips on: FRUIT! Beautiful fruit!


My Instagram: @veganlifeisgood

Today's recipe is one to beat the summer heat, and there is a secret to it's icy coolness: don't use ice! That's right! I've only recently acquired a blender and regular ice cubes watered down my first few smoothies (ugh, who on earth likes watery smoothies???) until I figured out how to get my fresh raw fruit AND my icyness too:

  • Substitute one of your fresh fruits with frozen ones.

Soooooo simple that I almost didn't post it because I thought, "Surely everyone has figured this out but me!?" But I'm doing it anyway on the off chance that it helps somebody somewhere. Adding frozen blueberries in lieu of regular ones turned my smoothie a much richer and more beautiful color (raw blueberries blend to a dull kind of blueish-purple), and I swear I feel cool from the inside out even hours after I drink this recipe. This is also an awesome way to enjoy an off-season fruit when it's not on the shelves.

Stay tuned tomorrow for more fruit-spiration! Here's today's smoothie recipe for an excellent and filling breakfast or lunch:
Blend:
  • 1 - 2 bananas
  • 2 dates (soaked for a few hours in water if you can)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Post your comments here!