I started with a recipe from the Sweet Vegan cookbook, with a couple of substitutions:
The Best Blueberry Muffins (makes 8-10 standard-size)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (cheap at Trader Joes!)
- 3/4 cup cane syrup*
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (it gives the flavor that extra something)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 coconut oil
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 3 tsp Ener-G egg replacer, whisked w/ 4 tbsp warm water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
2. Mix flour, cane syrup, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Add the coconut oil, soy milk, egg replacer (pre-whisked) and vanilla and mix until well combined.
4. Fold in the blueberries.
5. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into the liners. Bake 17-20 min, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. I could see clear moisture on the toothpick but no batter, and mine were done perfectly.
Enjoy immediately with your spread of choice and coffee!
*the original recipe called for 3/4 cup evaporated cane juice, which is a solid sugar, whereas I used the liquid cane syrup because that's what the store had, but I think this sub worked great and wonder if this contributed to the delightful texture on the bottom. If you try the other way let me know!